सम्भासित:पमुख पत्त Pamukha patta
|This is the talk page of Pali Wikipedia's Main page (पमुख पत्त Pamukha patta). Use this page to discuss improvements to the Main page.|
|No. of Topics||13|
|Last edited by||CX Zoom|
|Last edited on (UTC)||19 April 2022|
पाळि (लि vs ळि)[सम्पादेतु]
Shouldn't ळि be the correct transliteration for the ḷi syllable in "Pāḷi"? Unfortunately, a number of Devanagari letters are (i think) used in Pāḷi which are not used in Nepali, which seems to be the subset used by the converter. Any opinions? Sorry for writing in English, but I'm just learning. --Storkk १३:०१, १८ August २००८ (UTC)
- Abt लि vs ळि I think लि is correct. There are many Pali books in Nepal published in both Nepal and India in Devnagari. I have never seen ळि used in any of these books. However, while writing pali in Marathi, ळि is used. Thanks.--Eukesh १७:३६, २५ August २००८ (UTC)
- Based on the pronunciation of Pali language most of the hard sounds which are absent in Hindi/Sanskrit are properly pronounced in Pali, so ळि is more accurate though in Nepali it is not used. Psubhashish ०५:०७, १३ April २०११ (UTC)
Should this Wikipedia be in Devnagari?[सम्पादेतु]
Why is this Wikipedia written in Devnagari? The earliest extant Pali texts are not written in that script, and anyway, even the use of Sinhalese script isn't widespread. The romanization is common and widespread, and has the benefit of being fairly accessible to people of a wide variety of linguistic backgrounds. At the very least, could this Wikipedia be outfitted with one of those automated transliteration tools like I've heard some Wikipedias use to toggle between Cyrillic and Latin alphabets? Babbage ०१:४५, ५ December २००८ (UTC)
- I agree with this wholeheartedly! Eu.stefan १३:३४, २७ October २००९ (UTC)
- I completely agree, Devanagari was never used for pali and should never be used, pali is the ancient most and the natural language of India, though Brahmi script will be the real script for it, Romanisation could be a substitute, but for the logo and main page it will be better to use Brahmi script instead of Devanagari. Psubhashish ०५:०५, १३ April २०११ (UTC)
- I also agree, Devanagari has never been used for Pali until modern times, and there is no reason for it to be so used now. The defacto standard for international transliteration of Pali is the Roman. The imposition of Devanagari is a political Hindutva movement, and we should not endorse or encourage it. If it is possible, as suggested above, to toggle between various scripts, this can be helpful for readers from different backgrounds. Use of Brahmi would be interesting as a novelty, but there is nothing meaningful about it. Indic scripts merely represent sounds, and any script that represents the sounds well enough is fine; Brahmi is, in its original form anyway, not yet developed enough to represent all sounds unambiguously.
- The present state of this Wikipedia could have also been avoided had this been done. The vast majority of Pali users are using it in connection with Buddhism and therefore very few of them are from India. It is a liturgical language of people in Sri Lanka and SE Asia, and none of them use Devanagari to write it. It also militates against the current international norm of romanizing Pali. Therefore this Devanagari usage excludes the vast majority of possible contributors and users of this Wikipedia, and denying it the amount of activity and content it might have otherwise had. This is possibly why the present incomprehensible state of this page seems to have gone unnoticed for 2 years as of now. --18.104.22.168 (वार्ता) ०८:४४, २६ सेप्टेम्बर २०२१ (UTC)
Hello! I am a Polish wikipedian and I would like to ask you for your help - writing a new article about former Polish President who won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1983 – Lech Wałęsa. I have looked for his biography in your Wikipedia but without success. Polish Wikipedians will be grateful for your help. Thank you so much in advance! PS you can find the English version of the article here. Best wishes from Poland, Patrol110 १५:५७, ८ November २००९ (UTC)
creating the Sanskrit Wikisource[सम्पादेतु]
I have submitted the proposal for creating the Sanskrit Wikisource. It is available at: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Requests_for_new_languages/Wikisource_Sanskrit
For time being, I have added only you two as the users interested in Sanskrit wikisource. If you know any one else interested in Sanskrit wiki source, please send me their details. Also make sure you cast your vote in the Arguments in favour section.
Please let me know in case there are any issues
Hallo, my name is Anastasiya Lvova, I'm "duty" in Connectivity project. The essence of the "Connectivity" project is to study and enhance the coherence of Wikipedia, or, in other words, to improve hypertext navigation between articles. The project deals with deadends, isolated articles, non-categorized articles, transitivity of the category tree, etc.
We want to work with your language version, but we need configured MediaWiki:Disambiguationspage for it (with direct links to template namespace pages, for example, ru:MediaWiki:Disambiguationspage/de:MediaWiki:Disambiguationspage/fr:MediaWiki:Disambiguationspage). Is it possible to set it up for our usage?
thanks in advance, Lvova १०:१४, २० February २०११ (UTC)
Request for adding Odia name for Pali bhasa[सम्पादेतु]
Hi, even Odia language (Oriya) is also originated from Pali language, so along with the other languages please write ପାଳି ଭାସା (Pali Bhasa) asthe other languages are there in the home page. Psubhashish ०५:०८, १३ April २०११ (UTC)
Invite to WikiConference India 2011[सम्पादेतु]
WikiSangamotsavam 2013, the annual gathering of users and well wishers of Malayalam Wikimedia projects, will take place from 21-23 December, 2013 in Alappuzha, Kerala. Please click here to go to the official page to see more details.
WikiSangamotsavam - 2013 is our first attempt to invite and host selected members from other Indian Wikipedia communities. We are planning to invite our friends and well-wishers from 14 different language wiki communities in India to this most auspicious occasion hosted by Malayalam wiki community! We are also planning to arrange few scholarships for non-Malayalam Wikimedians who are interested in participating in this event. With all these, we expect this year’s conference shall become the largest outreach program any Indian wiki community have ever attempted.
As a part of WikiSangamotsavam-2013, we are organizing edit-a-thons, WikiVidyarthiSangamam (a conference of students interested in Wikimedia projects), WikiYuvaSangamam (a meetup of youth interested in Wikimedia projects), a computer training session for the differently-abled, a digitization drive to digitize the information regarding wetlands in Kerala and WikiJalaYathra, a wiki voyage through Vembanadu backwaters.
We cordially invite you to participate in WikiSangamotsavam-2013 to share your experiences, to connect with your peers and create partnerships thereby strengthening the Indian Wikimedia community.
To participate in WikiSangamotsavam, please register your name here.
Content Translation beta feature is now available[सम्पादेतु]
Hello, Content Translation has now been enabled as an opt-in beta feature on the Pali Wikipedia. To start translating:
- Please enable the Beta feature in your preferences and check the box for Content Translation.
- Visit the page Special:ContentTranslation or to your contributions page to open the tool.
- Click on the blue button to create a new translation.
- A dialog will be displayed. In the From section select the language of the original article and the article name, and the language you would like to translate to. Also add the title of the new article (or the original title will be inserted) and click on Translate to begin. Your language preferences will be remembered for the next time.
- You will see a screen consisting of three columns. The left column contains the text of the source language and the middle column is for the translated text. Using the right column you can perform several actions such as insert source text, remove the inserted text source text, add or remove links etc.
- After you translate the article, you can publish it directly as a new page on the Pali Wikipedia by using the publish button that appears. In case the article gets created by another user while you were translating, you will see an option to save the newly published translation under your user namespace.
- The number of published pages can be seen on the Content Translation stats page.
Since, this is the first time we have installed the tool on this Wikipedia, there are chances that there may be some problems or service disruptions which we are not yet aware of. We will be monitoring the usage to check for any failures or issues, but please do let us know on the Content Translation talk page or through Phabricator if you spot any problems that prevent you from using the tool. For more information, please read the information available in the User Guide. You can also view a short screencast on how to use Content Translation. Our announcement is written only in English, and we would really appreciate if this message can be translated to reach more users of this Wikipedia. Thank you.--Runab WMF (वार्ता) १७:३०, ४ जून २०१५ (UTC)
- evaṃ āvuso --ВМНС (वार्ता) १४:०५, २९ नवम्बर २०१५ (UTC)
Pali is missing[सम्पादेतु]
Pali is missing from this page:
More than 100 languages are now listed.
Thank you, Varlaam (वार्ता) २२:५६, २० ज्यानुवरी २०१६ (UTC)
This wikipedia seems heavily vandalised[सम्पादेतु]
This wikipedia is incomprehensible to anyone who knows the language (it used not to be, someone has vandalised it.)
Revision as of १३:५५, २० जुलाई २०१९ must be restored for the main page. The reasons will be obvious to anyone with a knowledge of pali going through this "मुखिय परुश्हठ."
The fact that even the title mukhiya paruśhaṭha is not pāli in the remotest sense of the word will be understood by anyone with a cursory knowledge of the language.
And why does the symbol of Wikipedia have the words "ekā nimulenā saddakoso" underneath? Saddakosa is a dictionary.
Editing this page is at present blocked, possibly for good reason.
Further, there are numerous pages on the elements of the periodic table all with 1 completely erroneous sentence (with regards to the language).
I really do not know what is the extent of this issue.
I do not claim to be an expert in this language and if editors feel that I may be ignorant in making these comments, I am fine. But there has been no talk on this page since 2016, and I feel nobody who has taken note of the recent edits has made any effort to correct it or point it out.